Assumptions: Firefox Version 20.0 (Linux, OpenSUSE 11.4)
Firefox Version 30.0 (Windows XP)
- The Firefox installation folder shall contain file omni.ja (at my system i can find it in /usr/local/firefox).
- Copy it some location e.g. /tmp folder.
- Run command: cd /tmp
- Verify that file omni.ja is present in /tmp folder.
- Run command: unzip omni.ja -d omni
- A folder omni will be created in /tmp folder.
- Open the file /tmp/omni/chrome/browser/content/browser/browser.js
- Search for function: onStateChange: function (aWebProgress, aRequest, aStateFlags, aStatus)
- In this function, search for line: else if (aStateFlags & nsIWebProgressListener.STATE_STOP)
- Before closing brace of this “else if” structure, add following line: document.title = “Your desired title”;
- Save the changes to file.
- Go to folder /tmp/omni
- Run command: zip -qr9XD omni.ja *
- Take this omni.ja file and replace original omni.ja file in Firefox installation directory with this file.
- That’s it.
On Windows XP/7:
- You will find two omni.ja files in Firefox installation folder. For example, i have Mozilla Firefox installation in folder: C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox (It could be different folder on your system. Figure it out).
- I can see one omni.ja file in that folder and one in C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\browser.
- Take the one in folder C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\browser.
- Create a new directory somewhere on system (Let’s say on Desktop)
- Copy omni.ja to newly created folder
- Rename it to omni.zip and extract it using winzip.
- Locate file chrome/browser/content/browser/browser.js
- Repeat steps f) g) h) i) which i mentioned for Linux.
- Compress all the extracted folders together by selecting all files and directories in newly created folder on Desktop (delete original omni.ja file).
- Right click -> Send To -> Compressed Zip folder.
- Rename newly created zip file to omni.ja
- Copy it back to C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\browser
- That’s it.
If you are facing any difficulty in following these steps, don’t hesitate to ask questions in comments 🙂